Who really gives a shit about our kids' health?
This is an issue I am terribly passionate about! Our children are often in a place that they don't make the decisions when it comes to their nutrition. We as parents chose what they eat, as well as the school board when it comes to nutrition at school. Of course school nutrition is a whole other topic that will be covered in a different post!
I have been in the health, fitness and wellness industry for almost 20 years now. It was only natural when I became a mom that I wanted to make sure I was providing a healthy environment for our kids. I was astounded by the current research and predicted trends 😳 Our kids have been digging in the soil since they could walk. We've had a garden since before the kids were born. Even when we only had a small patio in Japan, we still had container gardens and an AeroGarden full of herbs.
As parents of this generation who is predicted to not live as long as generations before them, we NEED to do something NOW. I have made it my personal mission to help 100 people by the end of 2019. I know this will create such a ripple effect that we CAN make a huge difference.
So should nutrition be a part of the school curriculum? I 100% think this should be a part of the school. Our kids have been fortunate to have gone to school in Japan and Italy and both countries have had school gardens the kids work in and learn about. This was part of my education as a child - from my parents. Unfortunately this might not be an option for many families. The sad part is, kids (and even some parents) don't even know where their food comes from. They don't know what they should eat to optimize their health.
Take a look at a few of these stats I talk about in the video....
• These kids growing up right now are tracked to be the first generation to die younger than their parents lived. It's because of what we're feeding them.
• The leading cause of death in children under 15 is cancer.
• The prevalence of childhood obesity has tripled in the past decades.
• 30% of Americans have non-alcoholic fatty livers. This is from the sugars and processed foods. The non-sugar sweeteners are just bad, they are just more chemicals.
• Food keeps making us fatter and sicker. Big business spends $17-$20 billion a year marketing junk food to our kids.
• 1 in 3 children born in the year 2000 are predicted to have diabetes by the time they reach the age of 20
• 35% of children are now overweight or obese and it's predicted by the CDC that 50% of today's children will become obese by the year 2030
• 1 in 4 children today now take prescription medication daily for a chronic illness
• There are increased rates of childhood cancer, asthma, autism, all kinds of behavior and social disorders, and learning disabilities.
👉 There is a huge challenge for our future. We have kids becoming sicker, and then they become sick adults. Healthcare costs are rising and unfortunately there's more money to be made in disease care/pharmaceuticals than well care/healthy foods.
😳 If reading this doesn't open your eyes, I honestly don't know what will. We are doing this to our children.
If any of this resonates with you and you are READY to make a difference in not just your child's health, also to your own then let's please chat! I want to know how I can help you and your family live a better quality of life that is long term and sustainable.